ClimoPlate ™ is a New Zealand manufactured Alkyd / Bitumen co-polymer, solvent / water emulsion based paint developed primarily for New Zealand outdoor conditions.
ClimoPlate ™ is specifically but not exclusively formulated to act as a top coat over bitumen based sealers such as our GilsoFlex™ and FlexsoTar™ products. It is ideally suited for painting of exposed metal roofs, cement tile roofs and steel structures. It is compatible and suitable to be used on Decramastic and Butynol roofs.
ClimoPlate ™ can also be used on other substrates like timber etc.
Because of its disinfecting effect, it will retard the growth of moss or lichen.
Substrate surface preparation requirements are minimal.
Roof requires one coat only and One (1) Litre will cover approximately 4 to 8 Square Meters, depending on roof surface.
- 4ltr will cover approximately 16 to 32 Square Meters
- 10ltr will cover approximately 40 to 80 Square Meters
- 20ltr will cover approximately 80 to 160 Square Meters
ClimoPlate ™ is intended primarily for surface application by brushing, rolling or airless spraying.
A re-coat might be required after 8 to 10 years.
We are in the process of adding more colours to our range. (Please ask via "eMail" if you would like us to match a specific colour for you, and we will advise).
- ClimoPlate ™ is a Bitumen/Alkyd Top Coat paint suitable over bitumen based sealers and coatings.
- ClimoPlate ™ is a flexible coating and will not break down due to distortion and movement, caused by weather exposure
- ClimoPlate ™ is non-corrosive to metals and can be painted directly over bitumen based products, bare steel, galvanised, powder coated, minor surface rust or previously painted steel and concrete with minimum surface preparation requirements.
- ClimoPlate ™ is suitable on metal and concrete tile roofs. It can also be used on concrete brick and block work, plywood and timber.
- Can be used on other structures to paint the surface
- Drinking water collected from roofs coated with ClimoPlate ™ is safe to consume
For more detailed information please see our documents below.
Packaging:Available in 4 litre, 10 litre and 20 litre tins
For Use On:Suitable for use on any cement tile and corrugated steel roofs, Decramastic roofs, Butynol roofs, steel structures, timber, concrete brick and block work etc.
Surface Preparation:Ensure surface is dry, dust free and not contaminated (Remove Contamination, moss, mould and any old, loose and flaky paint and rust before coating)
Top Coat:Although this product is bitumen based, it will accept acrylic paint on top once properly cured, if a colour change is required.
Colour:When applied it will be a high gloss Black although after setting (approx. 3-4 weeks) it will turn to a deep mat black final finish.
Before Applying:The sealer/paint should be thoroughly stirred for at least 5 mins.
Application:Brush, Roller, Spray (we supply a suitable spray thinner if required)
Coverage:Depends upon surface:
– Tile roofs typically 3 - 6 m2/litre.
– Corrugated metal roofs typically 4 - 8 m2/litre.
No of Coats:Generally only one coat required, a second coat can be applied dependent on the condition of the roof.
Recoat Time:As soon as previous coat is touch dry (approximately 4 hours), an additional coat can be applied if required.
Drying Time:Generally allow 24 hours, depending on surface and ambient conditions for the sealer/paint to be touch dry. The sealer/paint will be fully set in a few weeks and the colour will change from a gloss black to a deep mat charcoal colour.
Thinners:Not recommended, however for spraying please see our web-site for a suitable thinner.
Clean Up:Clean equipment using recommended thinner, kerosine or mineral turpentine
Durability:Recoat after 6 summers if required. In harsh climatic areas a recoat might be required sooner.
– Contains volatile solvent, keep away from heat and open flame.
– Keep out of reach of children.
– Keep closed when not in use, avoid breathing vapour - ensure good air flow when applying.
– Stir very regularly during application to ensure consistency of product.
– Do not apply if surface temperature is below 5°C or above 50°C
Storage, Handling Safety:Refer to attached Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS GilsoFlex) also refer to attached “Health and Safety in the Surface Coating Industry” Brief 3, October 2007 as published by the Department of Labour.
These documents contain important information about:
- Material Safety Data
- General Information
- Safe use
- First Aid
- Clean Up
- Available Packing Sizes
- and more information
Note: To view the following PDF documents, you will require some type of PDF-reader plugin on your system.
If you need an up-to-date plugin you can install Adobe's free PDF reader from here.